The custom installation of tiles requires the right set of tools, the awareness of certain mistakes and some skills and experience. Some tips should also be followed to make this task a simple DIY project. Those working first-time may not get the desired or acceptable results as they lack experience. Thus a professional is always recommended so as to save time and complete the work efficiently.
Tips for Beginners
When working by themselves, people should carefully plan their course of action with these points in mind:
- Finalizing tiles – Priority must be given to the main tile followed by the secondary tiles, which when combined complete the décor.
- Being realistic – While an imaginative and creative mind is helpful, excess of these can even destroy our work and force us to stop. 2-3 tiles of different styles but made up of the same materials should be used.
- From bottom to top – First, the bathroom floor tiles must be selected as the base followed by the wall tiles and then those around the tub, sink or shower.
- Maintenance – Some tiles require more maintenance and cleaning like those of the bathtub. This selection should be done accordingly.
- Size requirements – Large tiles on floors are preferred but working with them requires extra care and specialized tools.
We easily forget that our floor is not perfectly flat and our walls not so straight. It is important to determine the layout of the bathroom because calculations on paper can be easily changed but not the unevenness of the floor or wall. Tools must be used to mark such areas. These imperfections do not affect the final look of the room but the durability of tiles get affected. On floor uneven surfaces can cause the tile to crack after long-term usage and a wavy wall may get highlighted with the new texture.
Mistakes to Avoid
These common tiling mistakes should be carefully looked out for and be avoided:
- Poor Preparation – The surface must be cleaned and be as smooth as possible to ensure a tight bond with the tile. Grout must be prepared and applied properly with the right tools. Excess of it should always be removed before hardening.
- Adhesive Knowledge – Adhesives shrink as they dry leading to uneven bonding with tile which leads to crack formation. Correct adhesives must be chosen as per the given requirements. Bathrooms, pools, and laundries require waterproof ones.
- Material Stockpile – The mistake can be easily avoided. Always buy approximately 10% extra of each material before setting down to work. These are used to cover up imperfections or during mishaps and minor repairs.
One should always use the correct tools so as to work efficiently. A proper plan related to all stages must be prepared theoretically first so that one knows what to do when getting stuck while working. Using unique or different items requires one to stock up more materials and resources. While working with large tiles or those of different textures, beginners should work with extra caution as they may break easily due to their different weight distribution than normal tiles.
Before working on the renovation, advice should be taken from experts and even the action plan must be reviewed by them in the case for beginners.