LVT or Luxury Vinyl Tile is used to refer to the luxury category of vinyl products which have the looks and appearances of stone or a ceramic tile. These tiles are developed with a gorgeous palette of colors. Accompanied with an exemplary texture, these tiles can transform even the most boring of surfaces into a real piece of art.
Being used in almost every area of the mainstream business, LVT has found its place in numerous areas such as airports, hotel lobbies, schools, hospitals, and such other areas. Due to its various uses, it has become quite popular in the architectural market today.
A Deep Insight Into LVT Flooring
LVT is a form of flooring material which is designed, keeping in mind, the need to replicate hard surface flooring such as stone or wood while serving an additional set of practical features. Available in the form of planks and tiles, luxury vinyl tiles make use of a photographic print film along with a clear vinyl layer which opens up avenues for a plethora of design concepts. This makes it hard for people to discern LVT from the products designed on it.
The Advantages of LVT
Luxury vinyl tiles are highly advantageous when it comes to the features that they possess. It is due to these features that they have an elevated status in the flooring market.
These features include:
1. LVT comes with a resilient flooring feature. This helps the tile to retain the warmth and comfort in the foot.
2. Being hard-performance in nature, the tile serves multiple purposes without compromising on the display. This makes the tiles extremely beautiful.
3. The tile could be used even in places where moisture becomes a problem for other forms of flooring.
4. LVT has an easy installation feature. The tiles can be installed either with glue or a loose-lay floor. This reduces the flooring installation costs and well the installation times.
5. The traditional options used for floorings such as wood and stone are extremely costly when compared to the LVT. This makes it a durable alternative which does not burn a hole in your pocket.
The Process of Installing The Tiles
The procedure of installing the LVT is so easy that it can be performed at home without the need for professionals. All that one needs are a few tools, a few materials and the knowledge of installing tiles.
The tools required are:
1. Utility Knife
3. Circular Saw
4. Measuring Tape
5. Putty Knife
7. Chalk Line
9. Orbital Sander
10. Grout Float
11. Tile Sponge
12. Paint Roller
The materials required are:
1. Vinyl Tile
2. A quarter of plywood inches of plywood underlayment
3. One and a half quarter inches of underlayment nails
4. Joint Compounds
5. 80 and 120 grit sandpaper for orbital sander
7. Tile Spacers used in 1/8 inches of spacers.
8. Premixed, sanded grout according to the user's choice.
Installing the tiles are done in multiple steps.
These following steps display the method of installing the tiles in a bathroom.
1. First of all, you need to remove any carpet and pad present. If you want to replace the baseboards, remove them as well. In the case that you plan to have a carpet to tile threshold, keep in mind to leave approximately three to six inches of carpet space to finish that off.
2. Before laying the plywood underlayment, remove the toilet to find and measure the center point of the pipe. Measure the diameter of the toilet flange to make the cut in the underlayment.
3. Cut and size the ¼ inches of plywood underlayment.
4. Hammer the ¼ inches of underlayment nails and secure the plywood to the floor. Nail along the edges of the plywood as well on the field. If the plywood still feels loose and possess a certain movement, add an extra nail.
5. Fill the seams next with a joint compound. Do this by spreading a thin layer over all the seams and let them dry. Use the 80 grit sandpaper first as the joint compound dries rapidly and then use the orbital sander to smoothen the seams. Next, sand using the 120 grit sandpaper. Vacuum the next which is left behind.
6. Prime the floor before laying the tile. Allow enough time for the coats to dry off.
7. Now, first of all, find the center point of the room and use perpendicular chalk lines to mark them. Begin laying the tile with the backing still being on. Use the chalk lines to lay the tiles in a straightforward manner. Use a rolling pin if you want to apply pressure for allowing the tiles to stick better.
8. Lay the main field of tile now. Make sure that the tiles are spaced properly using the tile spacers and that they are squared with each other.
9. To cut the tile, use the ruler as a straight edge and use a razor knife to cut the tile. Make sure to bend the tile until it snaps at your razor knife score mark.
10. Use the piece of underlayment for tracing around the pieces which need to be cut.
11. Following the above steps, fill the entire room. Use the rolling pin to make sure that every piece of the tile is stuck to the floor. Make sure that you follow the grout bucket’s instructions and leave the tile for at least 24 hours. Use the grout float and work at 45-degree angles to make sure that it is evenly applied.
12. Clean up the grout using two buckets of clean water. One for the primary cleanup and the second one for wiping. Clean at 45-degree angles to prevent taking up too much of grout. Once the entire room has been wiped primarily, use the second clean bucket of water and wipe it. Once all this is done and the grout is dry, install the baseboards.
LVT has helped multiple people to change their flooring to a fresh one. This is something which hard not to marvel at considering the beauty of the tiles. The tiles also have added advantage as a people attractor, for people are just pleased by the tile’s beauty. Most of them even have a hard time believing that the tiles are not made out of traditional tiling material such as porcelain.